Friday, February 19, 2010

She Said Yes

No, it is not our wedding anniversary, but close enough. Ten years ago I asked Rebecca Lee Burks if she would spend the rest of her life with me and she replied, "Yes."

We were young, both in our early 20's when she accepted a diamond ring and made the commitment to be my wife, and I her husband, for the course of our lives. I cannot say that it has always been easy. We have faced our share of difficulties, but have been blessed with countless joys since that day, including two healthy children.

Through it all, the greatest blessing about Rebecca is that she is consistent, stable and dependable. She is a rock on the good days and the bad ones, and all the average ones in between. She is honest with me when she needs to be, and compassionate when she needs. More than that, she is my best friend and a true friend as I serve in one of the loneliest vocations.

I am forever greatful that on the sanctuary alter of my home church, Huffman Baptist, alone, with just a dozen peach roses, bread and grape juice to commemorate our faith, a diamond ring, and the presence of God's Spirit in our midst, that she said yes to a lifetime of love, of challenges, of joy and of faith.

I love you, Rebecca. Thank you for saying yes.

No comments: