Saturday, February 20, 2010

Just Preach the Word!

Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage-- with great patience and careful instruction. For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. (2 Timothy 4:2-3, NIV)

"Just preach the Word!" Boy, have I heard that one before - many times, in fact.

When people ask me to preach the word, I have my suspicions. Usually, it stems from the fact that they did not like something that I said. Sometimes, this comment is delivered in context that a value has been challenged, or even better yet, the core of their worldview.

In 2002, I interviewed at a church that declared itself to be an "Independent Bible Church." They were located in an Alabama county adjacent to Jefferson County. At the time I was working at the United Methodist bookstore in Birmingham and completing seminary at Beeson Divinity School. One of the questions I asked this particular church was whether or not they welcomed and cooperated with people of all races. Racism disgusts me and I was determined not to serve a church that promoted racism. The pastor search committee assured me that they were not.

So, on the Sunday of my first trial sermon, I preached on the parable of the Good Samaritan. In that particular sermon I told the story of a time that I invited a good friend and neighbor of mine to my home church. He was African-American. I did not get a warm welcome at the door as the people left. I returned Wednesday night for an interview with the congregation and concerns were raised that I would integrate the church. Needless to say, I did not allow the call process to come to a vote, but withdrew my name. However, after the interview time with the pastor search committee, the chair of the committee said that I needed to "just preach the word!" That was God's way of saying that this was not the right church for me.

Over the years I have learned that "just preach the word" means:

1. Offer an invitation to accept Christ and repent from sins such as cussing, drinking, and sleeping around>

2. Confirm the political and social values that make us who we are. Assure us that God is pleased with who we are already.

3. Tear down those who are different than we are.

4. Confirm our doctrine or interpretations of scripture.

The problem is that all four of these violates Paul's charge to Timothy. Our interpretations of scripture must be challenged, especially if they promote a value or belief that leads to the seperation of people based on prejudice. Preaching the word may highlight those who are different than we are denominationally, politically, socially or culturally. Remember, it was the Samaritan who came to the aid of the man in the ditch. Preaching the word will always challenge the status quo. Until the Kingdom is established in its fullness, we have work to be done. And, finally, our Sin runs deeper than cussing and drinking. I wish that this was all there was to it, but there is much more. Until relationships of unconditional love are established between people who are otherwise fundamentally different, then we have work to do.

I am convinced that no denomination's tradition is totally biblical. I am convinced that many denominations read scripture to confirm their traditions rather than to be transformed by them. And, I am convinced that I don't have all the answers either.

The greatest lesson I have learned is from my theology professor at Beeson. In print he wrote, "My theology is corrigible, i.e., open to correction." We must approach the Bible with humility, willing to be transformed by it.

1 comment:

Jayce Tohline said...

Thanks for sharing this.