Sunday, May 24, 2009

Does God Cause or Allow Evil?

http://www.gregboyd.org/popular/the-35w-bridge-collapse-and-the-book-of-job-blog-post-from-8-29-07/

When I created this blog it was primarily for the purpose of discussing Theodicy, which is commonly known as the so-called "Problem of Evil." Actually, "theodicy" is a word derivved from two Greek words Theos and dikaios. Theodicy, therefore, is best translated righteousness of God, or God's justification. In Romans 1:16-17, Paul indicates that the gospel reveals God's righteousness. The Gospel reveals the answer to theodicy!

The above link is to Greg Boyd's response to the collapse of the I-35 bridge in Minneapolis nearly two years ago. Boyd's response is to a pastor that said God caused the bridge to collapse to demonstrate his glory. What do you think?

Romans 1:16-17 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel; it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who has faith, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed through faith for faith; as it is written, 'The one who is righteous will live by faith.'"

3 comments:

Chris Ryan said...

I think that God allows it, but I don't have the determinist perspective of a full-blown Calvinist. If you are a Calvanist, I don't see how you get around God causing every act of evil, moral or natural.

Tim Marsh said...

Chris,

Do you think that it is a matter of either/or from a Calvinist or Arminian perspective.

I fear that these labels tend to cloud the issue and prevent further discussion (though I have used them in other arenas myself).

Thanks!

Chris Ryan said...

I don't know that the issue is either/or. I do think that both sides make commitments theological and philisophical commitments that create barriers in communication and result in divergent results of any inquiry.

There very well may be a five-point Calvinist that can defend a position that God allows evil. There may be an Arminian that believes every act of evil is caused by God. I believe the second of those is more likely than the first, but one day I may be surprised.

But prior commitments often determine how we view the evidence. So if we have the commitment that God determines human decisions, then the determinist mindset is often transferred to the theodicy issue as well. To those who believe humans have free agency,they can easier believe humans can commit both good and evil of their own accord absolving God of causation.