Friday, March 12, 2010

Presuppositions and Reading Scripture

"Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long!" Psalm 119:97, NIV

When reading the Bible, selecting a translation, choosing a study Bible, or listening to a "favorite" preacher/teacher, it is important to consider presuppositions that affect interpretations of scripture.

Factors that influence interpretation:

1. Gender
2. Socio-economic status
3. Nationality or Ethnicity
4. Life experiences or circumstances
5. Whether or not the interpreter is Christian
6. The historical location of the commentator, preacher or translator.
7. Denominational affiliation
8. Seminary Training
9. Pet "issues"

Regarding translations of the Bible, never assume that the translators are unbiased in their translation decisions. Though the process of translation (I believe) is guided by the Holy Spirit, translators are fallible individuals. They may make unintentional mistakes or intentional translation decisions based upon their presuppositions. Some translations (like the Jehovah's Witness translation - I cannot recall the name) are translated to reflect their own theological issues. Thus, never assume all translations are equal. It is important to use several translations, and understand the presuppositions that underly a particular translation. Thanks to the world of publishing and marketing, most translations include a preface that reveal each factor.

Regarding study bibles and commentaries, it is important to realize that the study notes and commentaries are not simply giving the meaning of the text. Again, commentaries and study Bibles reflect a particular reading of the text based upon presuppositions above. It is important to "know where the commentators/editors are coming from" when selecting a particular study edition.

Finally, the same is true for any pastor/teacher. We are fallible human beings who each bring our own presuppositions to the table. Though authority is nice when preaching and teaching, humility may be most important.

For me, I firmly believe that the Bible is God's Written Word and should be regarded as such for matters of faith, worldview and subsequent applications of these. Therefore I am committed to continually ask how the presuppositions I bring to the text affect my reading of scripture. Moreover, as more tools to aid interpretation become available, I am committed to rethink the specifics of doctrines that may at one time have influenced even translation decisions. I feel that, with integrity, to teach the Bible as God's Word to any congregation, my first and foremost duty, out of love for my congregation and people in my life, is to continue to ask the question of how to interpret the text, regardless of how it affects beliefs that I hold.

No comments: