Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Bottom Line?


Is it really OK to agree to disagree?


Unity amidst diversity sounds nice, but in reality it is easier said than done.


Why?


Coming from divinity school to the 'real world' of ministry has not been an eye opening experience, but I cannot help but notice the difference between theory and practice in church. In divinity school, I was educated to look at both or all sides of a position, delimma or doctrine. Knowing the arguments for each position, it was up to me to weigh the arguments against scripture, reason, tradition and experience. Then, I had to make the choice of where I stood. However, my personal position was not as important as knowing how I arrived at the position. Divinity School taught me to think. That's good. Church history is primarily a history of thought and subsequent practice.


However, it also devalues the importance of the final position. For example, I believe that God calls women to ordained capacities in the church. That is not a position that the church has historically embraced. Furthermore, those like me, who hold to a high view of scripture often come to different opinions as to what the Bible says. Paul seems to limit ministerial roles in 1 Timothy to males. Yet we have other passages that indicate women had a greater role in ministry vis-a-vis the role of women in society. The Bible narrative gives evidence of progress in the role of women when compared to the role of women in First Century Greco-Roman culture.


Yet, many people ask whether or not I believe a certain thing, like women in ministry, and expect a direct answer: "Yes, I believe women can serve in ordained capacities" or "no, they cannot" without appreciation as to how I came to that conclusion.


To illustrate that point, there are some that believe women can serve in ministry regardless of what the Bible says. They read scripture differently. They interpret differently. They believe that the Bible contains the word of God and they must pick and choose what parts of the Bible to embrace. That oversimplifies their position, but I must for sake of brevity. I cannot side with these people who "pick and choose" their scripture as opposed to the whole of the Bible.


Furthermore, I feel more akin to those who believe that women cannot serve in ordained capacities if their position comes from an honest attempt to read scripture. Though I do not agree with their final answer, their theological understanding of scripture I embrace.


Thus, for me, how I arrive at the final answer may be more important than the final answer and its applications. Too, I may appreciate how others come to that final position, even if we disagree.


However, in the 'real world' of church ministry, the final answer and its applications are more important than the process of how to get there. People want simple answers to run with. And, this is understandable. If my church agrees that women may serve in ordained capacities, then that, in turn, affects how the church does ministry. It affects the church's relationship with those churches that disagree. It affects whether or not people may feel they can attend that particular church. The catch-22 then becomes whether or not the church aligns with other churches that embrace the particular practice or with churches that embrace the method that comes to the conclusion. Therefore, to many, the final answer matters most, without thought given to the process of arriving at the final answer.


I fondly remember watching the famous Duke-Kentucky regional final in 1992. The two teams played what many consider to be the best basketball game ever played. Regulation ended with a 93-93 tie and the teams went back and forth throughout overtime. Kentucky led 103-102 with two seconds left. Christian Laettner hit the game winner at the buzzer for Duke's 104-103 win. They went on to win the national championship. Though we can admire the game, that Kentucky played their best basketball of the season, perhaps ever, in that one game, the result still stood. Duke won and advanced. They would have done the same if the game was ugly and the final score was in the 50's or if they blew Kentucky out. The tournament brackets showed no appreciation for the greatest game ever. It merely advanced Duke to the next round and Kentucky was labeled a loser.


The world is a bottom line world. But does this always work in Christianity, especially "organized" Christianity? What is most important, the end result or how the game is played? Does Christianity have a place for both? Can we work with those whom we disagree, yet share common values that led to differing practices?


These are just thoughts, but important thoughts for considering how to think theologically and for practical theology.


4 comments:

Chris Ryan said...

I have wondered about these very questions, probably because my undergrad experience was exactly what your's was in divinity school. I learned to think and that what was important was how you arrived at the conclusions. It was that you were thinking biblically and thinking theologically, not that you could parrot a bunch of predetermined positions. I had excellent teachers for that.

But there is such a disconnect between that world and the real world. You are right that outside the classroom, most people just want to know what the bottom line (often the party line) is. But I am trying to figure out how to circumvent that type of thinking. I don't think it is likely that you will be even a good practical theologian whether as pastor or parishoner until you've learned to think properly. But how do we re-teach people to think?

One thing that I think can help immensely is a liberal use of the narrative method of preaching. By structuring the sermon like a story with the climax (thesis) at the end, you force the audience to think through the issue with you if you can leave off answering the central point and build the suspense.

In the counseling session or the committee meeting, I think you need to resist the urge to say, "Here is what you should do," and learn to ask the right questions. Yet again, people are forced to think for themselves. This goes against the pastor as CEO model because then he is serving more as a consultant that the head, but I also think that is a more biblical idea on the pastoral role anyhow.

Beyond that, I don't know. And I obviously haven't perfected the method because here I am saying, "This is what we should do." But I hope that as a church universal and as a local church we can begin to learn how to think theologically rather than always jumping to the end. I know that time is money so you don't want to waste time. But I don't think it's a waste to learn how to think. It's more of an investment, because the better you get at it the more quickly you arrive at answers that are more worth having.

Tim Marsh said...

Chris,

I like what you said about asking the right questions and working colaberatively with leadership.

Often, in my experience, lay leadership will come to similar conclusions if I keep my mouth shut, or ask questions rather than direct the discussion.

I think that some are afraid of the "process" of arriving at a conclusion because they are fearful that their conclusion may change, or that they can at least sympathize with the other side of the coin.

Labels, slogans, political affiliations and catch phrases provide a safe alignment with a group of people.

If only life and the things therin were easy!

I hope you are doing well.

Chris Ryan said...

I am doing well. Thanks for your concern.

Just got set up in Waco and Truett classes start on the 24th. I'm excited.

I like what you said about people often being afraid of seeing the other side. I know that was the most difficult part for me. I knew what I had been told and it was always hard to let the other side have a fair shake. My world turned upside down once I began to see that intelligent, concerned, and informed people could have differing opinions about interpreting the same set of facts. I think it was for the better.

Tim Marsh said...

Chris,

If only we all would take the risk to do explore the waters...even if our values do not change, we can at least understand where others are coming from.

I hope that you have opportunity with your blog to keep us updated on your theological education. God bless!